Lichfield Historic Parks Project was a partnership project between Lichfield District Council and Lichfield City Council. It is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund’s and the Big Lottery Fund’s Parks for People programme. The work was carried out during 2010 and 2011.
Works to Beacon Park, Museum Gardens and play areas included:
- We developed a new poolside café and a new refreshment kiosk in Museum Gardens.
- We created a new enclosed under 5s play area, with covered sandpits, train and more.
- We opened a new play area for older children, with sculpted wood climbing logs, rope swings and a revamped mini car track.
- We relocated the bowling green and create a new bowling and education pavilion called the Discovery Hub.
- We extended Swinfen Broun Pavilion to include new public toilets, sports changing rooms and offices.
- We restored Martyrs’ Plaque, statues, fountain, balustrades, gates and railings.
- We planted new trees, shrubs and flowers.
- We resurfaced footpaths and installed new benches, picnic tables, bins, lighting, signage and interpretation boards.
- We restored Beacon Park’s pool.
- We created a new horticultural training area.
Works to the Garden of Remembrance included:
- We restored the entrance, and create a new access ramp and steps into the garden.
- We conserved the war memorial.
- We installed new railings around the memorial for wreaths.
- We installed a new sundial and decorative urns.
Works to Minster Pool, Minster Pool Walk and Memorial Gardens included:
- We completed the avenue of trees.
- We installed lights to illuminate nine lime trees along Pool Walk.
- We resurfaced the footpath.
- We intalled traditional railings along the pool.
- We dredged areas of silt build up in Minster Pool and rebuild the bank along Minster Pool Walk.