The Old Hall Gatehouse
Photographed by Andrew Marriott
This is all that remains of the ancient manor house of the Mavesyn's. It is thought to date from around 1407 and is likely to have been built to provide accommodation for the family or important guests. It has two floors with the roof being an impressive crown post construction. It is timber framed but was refaced with brick and stone in the seventeenth century. There is a small dovecote at the one end with unusual nesting boxes made from wattle and daub.
Legend has it the Oliver Cromwell held a meeting of his Council of War in the Gatehouse room the night before he attacked Lichfield. There is a record that Cromwell's soldiers were in the parish in 1643 when five horses were bought by his forces.