Get help with home repairs

If your home is in need of repair, you may be able to get help:

If you own your own home

Lichfield District Council works with Metropolitan Care & Repair and five other councils, to help eligible homeowners repair their homes through the Houseproud scheme. The scheme offers free, unbiased advice and practical and financial help to eligible local homeowners.

All eligible homeowners can get a free assessment of their home, and Metropolitan can appoint an approved contractor and supervise works to ensure they are carried out to a good standard.

Metropolitan will also give you details of a free benefit check to make sure you are claiming everything due to you and your family.

To find out whether you are eligible for help through the Houseproud scheme, contact Metropolitan Care & Repair on 0203 535 3670 (calls charged at local rate), or email them on

If you live in a private rented home

If you are renting and it need repairs to safeguard you and your family’s health and safety, your landlord should pay for this and arrange for the work to be carried out.

The best thing to do is to speak to your landlord and ask them to carry out the repairs, but if they aren’t happy to do so, it is very unlikely you should have to pay for it yourself.

To help resolve the issue, you can ask Lichfield District Council to visit your home and assess it against a housing health & safety rating system to ensure it is fit for purpose.

If health and safety risks are identified by the council, they will try to resolve any issues informally with your landlord, but will take action to enforce repair work if necessary.