Reduce your rent

If you are renting and can’t afford your monthly payments, why not find out if you could move into a more affordable property, or speak to your landlord or housing association?

Visit U Choose

A great place to start if you are looking for an affordable local rental property is the U Choose website. The website aims to make it easier to rent an affordable local home. It advertises local homes for rent and also lets you apply online and express an interest in a local home.

Homes are allocated on a needs basis, that takes into account a variety of things, including your housing need and personal links to the district, what priority housing band you are in, and also when you registered onto the U Choose scheme.

Speak to your housing association

If you live in a housing association home and are struggling with debt, or are worried you can’t pay your rent, make sure you contact your housing association and let them know.

Most housing associations have a ‘financial or debt advice officer’ who will chat through your situation with you and see if there are ways they can help you. Find out more.

If you haven’t already done so, check whether you are entitled to Housing Benefit to help with your rent. If you are struggling to make your rent payments and are at risk of falling into arrears, get advice urgently.